I've put off asking this question for as long as humanly possible because I didn't want to seem like that much of a *grumbles* idiot. However, I have a few commissions riding on this term and alas, google has failed me so here it goes...
What the hell does Whump mean? You know. To Whump. Having been Whumped. To engage in vigorous Whumping... *shrugs* so forth and so on.
Could someone please explain it to me? I mean, honestly! I've looked it up to no avail, I've had various people use it in a sentence to me, I've heard it many times in passing and my only conclusion is that... FFFFfff, I think people are just messing with me.
What the hell does Whump mean? You know. To Whump. Having been Whumped. To engage in vigorous Whumping... *shrugs* so forth and so on.
Could someone please explain it to me? I mean, honestly! I've looked it up to no avail, I've had various people use it in a sentence to me, I've heard it many times in passing and my only conclusion is that... FFFFfff, I think people are just messing with me.
no subject
Date: 2010-04-16 02:13 pm (UTC)I always associate the term with 'Quatre whumping.' It's the Quatre equivalent of 'Duo sufferitis,' a term which is usually used in describing some of the stories of
Edit: One of Anne's icons actually shows a whumped Quatre:
no subject
Date: 2010-04-16 02:43 pm (UTC)...or both? *throws hands up* It's not a frequently used word in my daily vocabulary! I'll be honest, I thought it was just some new term for *cough* sex or something. Obviously, I was on a completely different track on that one...
no subject
Date: 2010-04-16 03:48 pm (UTC)Whumping is a term describing a genre of fanfiction where a character is physically, emotionally and/or mentally abused. Whumping belongs to the subset of fanfiction known as hurt/comfort (which also includes the sub-genres angst (mental hurt/anguish) and smarm (gratuitous comfort and character bonding in a non-slash context)).
Whumping refers only to the physical act of causing harm to a character in the course of a story.
From: http://www.fanhistory.com/wiki/Whumping
Hope it helps a little. ^_^
no subject
Date: 2010-04-16 04:16 pm (UTC)Thanks, I think I got the gist of it. I hope... *shrugs* Pft, everyone has to make it so technical.
no subject
Date: 2010-04-16 08:08 pm (UTC)Whumping is basically another phrase for hurt/comfort. A character is hurt in some way but it's always followed up by him/her being comforted by someone else after the fact.
no subject
Date: 2010-04-16 08:33 pm (UTC)Erm, well- it's not what you think, even though you used that word a few times to me somewhere previously. *tries to look innocent*
It's just that someone from the Star Trek fandom said, and I quote:
"McCoy finds them entangled in the med-bay after a they engaged in vigorous Whumping."
Yeah, and since I really didn't have a firm grasp as to what 'Whumping' meant to begin with, I took it to mean something entirely different after reading that sentence.
I'm assuming they misused the word.
no subject
Date: 2010-04-17 05:29 am (UTC)no subject
Date: 2010-04-18 03:27 pm (UTC)I heard from Sharon *grins* happy happy happy birthday~~!
(which, btw, thanks for clarification of 'whump/whumping')
and seriously, I was totally like...'YAY HAPPY BIR-'
and then immediately distracted for like, 10 minutes by smoking Trowa leaning against graffiti wall. Can you say hot?! *drools some*
HAPPY BIRTHDAY~~~!
no subject
Date: 2010-04-18 10:12 pm (UTC)Thanks again! <3